Just read a really interesting book titled "Imagine - the words and inspiration of John Lennon". The book was quite good, full of information about the different stages of Lennon's life that inspired him to write the songs that he wrote, both individually and with others. Very strong on the message that he believed the only way to bring about world peace was peacefully, with humour and love.
Oddly enough the part of the book I found most inspiring was the intro by the Most Reverend Desmond Tutu. He talked about his peoples highest praise "Yu, u nobunto". This means they possess the quality of unbunto. "What is this ubunto?" I hear you ask. It refers to how a person treats others and how they see themselves. The theory is "if I diminish you, I diminish myself". So it steps away from the old idea of doing good deeds is enough and believes that if you see another human as less than yourself that this actually takes away from your own humanity. "I am what I am because of who we all are" is also part of the philosophy, working under that theory in order to improve society and my community the best place to start is with myself.
So my task for the week is to go forward and try to incorporate a little of this wisdom into my life. Not being a natural people person a fairly large challenge but worth the effort.
Dan xxx
Leviathan Wakes
12 years ago

3 comments:
Hey Hon,
What do you mean you are not a people person????? I think the complete opposite of you!!!!! You are beginning to worry me - didn't you have enough books to cover to keep you busy??????? Good on you for being reflective and thinking about your actions - so many out there that seriously lack this skill..... We all love you!!!
Rell
PS your blog is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get!!!!
You can't seriously write a post entitled Ubuntu and not mention the Linux distribution. It's outrageous.
I'm running an Ubuntu server at work. Its great. Hosts various shared network shares with no licence fee to Microsoft.
I believe it is pronounced
"oo-BOON-too".
Babe,
As usual love your work. All the internal reflection can be enlightening or bafflling. The secret tells you can change no one but yourself and to always look for the good in everyone. What I read of another book (raved over by Oprah) tells of basic beings and their ego is a bad thing. Do unto others is also a bible taught thing. So long as you do the best you can for all, and consider all teachings you can do little more.
Post a Comment