It was supposed to be a quiet weekend. Ben went to a work Christmas party on Friday night, so rather than spring for the taxi fare we worked out it would be cheaper for him to stay in town. I had a nice quiet evening, drank a little wine, ate a little food. Helene popped around in the morning to pick up the cake I had baked for Thomas. Alex was due for a haircut at 11:30 and fortunately Ben was home in time to mind Emma. Picked up a BBQ chook for lunch and got back home expecting that to be the highlight of the weekend.
While sitting eating lunch I noticed something trying to climb out of the pool. It looked a bit fat to be a lizard, but maybe it was a pregnant lizard so I had better go save it. When I got out there and looked it turned out to be a frog. While I am more than happy to fish lizards out of the pool I don't like the idea of grabbing a frog, so I ran back to the house to find a bucket to fish him out of the pool. Out all four of us go with the bucket and Alex is saying "cool we get to have a pet frog". We have one of those shell shaped wading pools and it was full of water because of the rain from the night before. Ben decided to tip him in there so he could have a bit of a rest before he went home. I call it a him but having no idea how to check the sex of a frog it may have been a her. Anyway we put a couple of bricks and bits of broken pot in to give him places to sit and rest and added a bit of shade. Alex wanted to try and catch him some flies. We had a wonderful afternoon watching the frog swimming around and sunning himself and generally being a frog. I love cheap entertainment.
When we got up in the morning the frog had hopped off home, which is all for the best and the kids were happy they got to spend time with him and save him.
While getting up and finding the frog gone was a happy thing we discovered that our backyard had now acquired a dog. He is the cutest little puppy and the kids have already fallen in love with him. Rang around and no one had reported a lost puppy, put up posters and haven't heard from anyone. He is a white puppy with a black patch over his eye, so we named him Captain Jack. Then we made him a temporary kennel out of a cardboard box and the kids spent the afternoon drawing lovely pictures on it for him. He has enjoyed a lovely bowl of chicken for dinner and has spent the day being bathed, groomed and patted to within an inch of his life. I keep hoping someone will come and claim him so I don't have to take him to an animal shelter tomorrow. Ben is pretending to be very stern and has been telling me we can't keep him but the puppy is so cute I'm hoping he doesn't mean it.
My quiet, uneventful weekend ended up being full of a lot more stuff than I originally expected but they were all fabulous moments with the family so I'm really happy it all turned out the way it did.
Leviathan Wakes
12 years ago

2 comments:
Hey There to the House of Lost Souls (no I didn't say assholes),
A funny weekend. You only really have to worry when I turn up in your backyard!!!!! It won't take much to work out what to feed me and give me to drink - chocolate and wine will be just fine. Depending on the week ahead this could be actually be reality. Only worry if I am rocking in the back corner.
Love Ya Long Time
Rell
xxx
PS I want an update on your week and I will know that things aren't good if I find you in my backyard rocking in the corner.
Rocking in the corner, cool. Will there be drool, mumbling and halucinations involved? You may need to check for a micro chip in the dog, have you got Ben and the kids done yet? I haven't, sometimes I don't want them back. Couldn't get the wine at Casula have to go to Cairns Hill. Did find a new style of bottle, Aluminum though.
Post a Comment